Skip to main content

$1148 in One Day Working With Plants? You Bet!

This article is actually an example of a simple yet, excellent marketing plan. Pay close attention to how I went out and found new business at a time of the year when things are normally slow, and not only did I make $1,148.00, my friend Franky also made $1,060.00.


Because I chose to keep myself out of the rat race of landscaping new homes, I went after a market that was more of an impulsive type market. New home landscaping is almost a necessity, since new homes don’t have any shrubs or grass. Not only that, many housing developments actually require people to have their landscaping done within a certain number of months from the time they move into their new homes. Therefore, when the house is done, people are anxious to get it landscaped.


Since I wasn’t in that market, and most impulsive gardening decisions are made in the spring, my business typically slowed down during the very hot summer months. So one year I decided to do a little test marketing, to see if I could muster up some work during the summer.


I decided to do a test mailing to 350 homeowners in an area where I knew the people could afford landscaping services, but were not extremely rich. I mailed a letter to these 350 homes, and the letter basically said I could help them with any landscaping project that needed done, and because my business was slow during the summer I could give them a really fair price.


Of the 350 people that received the letter 3 called me. I immediately sold two jobs, and the third job was still open for discussion. On one of the first two jobs I made about $350. and on the other I made about $700. That’s net profit. That’s how much I got to keep. Since the mailing cost less than $175., my immediate profit on the mailing was $875. Not bad at all considering this was only a part-time business for me. But don’t forget about that third caller. I had not even met this person yet.


The reason he called is because he happened to own a 60 unit apartment building in the Cleveland area, and he needed some trees or shrubs planted around the parking lot. The architect that he had been working with suggested Taxus Hicksi, which is an evergreen that is easily trimmed and maintained to a certain size. However, all the landscapers he had spoken with in Cleveland wanted about $44.00 each to install these plants. Although a fair price, that amounted to $4,664.00 because he needed 106 plants.


He contacted me because he was hoping I could find a less expensive plant to use. After visiting the job site I realized that Taxus Hicksi actually was about the best choice for this situation, so I told him I would see if I could get a better price on the plants. I showed in a wholesale catalog that the wholesale price was $22.00 per plant, but mentioned that I might be able to find another source.


I knew that my friend Franky did at one time grow this particular plant, so I gave him a call. Turns out he did have 106 plants available, and was anxious to move some of them, he quoted me $10.00 each, balled in burlap. I called my customer and told him that I found good plants at a lower price, and that I could actually deliver and plant them for $22.00 per plant, which is exactly half of what others had quoted him. He was delighted, and I did the job. As a matter of fact he actually asked me to install some additional plants while I was there.


I hired 3 guys to help me do the job, and we had it done in one day. After I paid for the plants, and paid my help, I actually made $1,148.00 on that one day job. My customer was so happy with the work we did that he asked me to come back the following week and do about another $700.00 worth of work. I made another $350.00 The following spring he hired me to re-landscape an older home that he had purchased, and I made another $600.00.


Remember the $175.00 that I spent to mail those 350 letters? The net profit on that mailing turned out to be about $2,973.00!!! And my friend Franky picked up $1,060.00 for the plants I bought from him. Were these 350 people I selected special? No they weren’t. Every town in America has at least 350 people just like them, probably thousands more.


There are many different ways to make money with plants, this is just one of them, I can show you plenty more. I’ve been making money with plants for over 25 years.



Popular posts from this blog

7 Quick Cash Fixes To Recover From A Money Emergency

When you are desperate to raise emergency funds, it usually doesn’t take very long for you to realize who really cares about you, who is truly a friend ... be they family or not.  Here are a few emergency budgeting tips:  Budgeting Tip #1: The first thing you want to do is prioritize to get back on track very quickly. If that means letting your credit card bill go for a bit, so be it. As soon as you realize that you have a money emergency, contact your credit card issuers and request reduced interest rates and payments. Not only one, both! Budgeting Tip #2: For your car payment, call the creditor and request a payment extension. Perhaps you hate payment extensions, because they require a fee and you still have to make the payment at the end of the contract. In this case, a payment extension can allow a little breathing room to help you recover during your money emergency. Expect that you will likely have to pay a fee (usually about ¼ - 1/3 the car payment am...

Do Not Waste Your Spare Time - Make Money From Home Now

Everyone has some spare time or the other and can put it to good use. The best of course would be to make money from home. A little extra money is always welcome, so why don’t you think about the options that are available to do this. Images: www.freepik.com You have the afternoons free to your self You have been napping every afternoon and want to give up this habit, but need some motivation to do so. Surely the thought to make money from home is exciting enough to drive that sleep pattern out of the window. Yes you could very well use this free time of yours constructively. Your next door neighbor is looking for someone to leave her baby with so that she could go out for some classes that she would like to attend in the afternoon. Why don’t you help her and also another few neighbors in this way so that they are free to do what they have been wanting to, and you could use this to make money from home? You could charge them by the hour and take care of these kids. ...

Winning Ways At Interviews

Marketing communications copywriter Charlie Trumpess takes a humorous look at how best to tackle that age old terror, the job interview.  Let’s face it, job interviews are about as much fun as a hot wax with no anaesthetic. After all, attempting to showcase your talents to a bunch of strangers, usually against the clock and on someone else’s turf is not a natural act. Nevertheless, if you really want the job then you have to crack the interview conundrum. Giving ‘good interview’ is all about the three Ps - preparation, presentation and positive thinking. All interviews are basically made of the same hellish stuff, so let's start at the beginning with the introductions.  The interview introduction can be a slippery customer and one that can easily get away from you. Once you enter that chamber of horrors commonly known as the interview room, you’re on your own, never sure if you’re saying or doing the right thing. The harder you try to relax the more nervous you ...

Work at Home. Part time or Full-time!

Get Rich Quick Scams RevealedRead this article before you consider paying for a "get rich quick" program.  From: Step Plans!Everybody would love to make lots of money quickly, working from home, and only doing a few hours of work per week. I've spent the past two years trying to find a great way of doing this. Only over the course of the past few months have I found any "get rich quick" programs worth buying. I've been trying to make money online for a long time. I had a few small websites, but they never made much more than a few hundred per month. It was easy money and didn't require much work on my part, but I knew there were people out there doing better than I was and I knew I could do as well as them.  Now, I've seen a lot of "get rich quick" programs. Most of these people make claims about earning $2000/day with Google or something similarly insane. Almost all of these people are complete liars. Even if they were making $200...

Adsense And Affiliate Programs - Simple Way To Make Money

One of the most frequently asked questions of all time is, "How do I make money on the Internet"? Images: www.freepik.com If you have been trying to make money on the Internet for even a short while, you have undoubtedly heard quite a few names being thrown about. It seems as if everyone sees themselves as an expert and everyone who is anyone knows everyone else who is someone. It is like a marketing guru clique. And they make you think that if you do not know somebody, you will always be a nobody. You have probably encountered product launches, audio and video streaming, teleseminars, and joint ventures, etc. The gurus that are selling these products and services are making money hand over fist. In all fairness, these products and services are genuine and valuable to the folks who buy them. But what most of them will not tell you is that there are thousands of people on the Internet making thousands of dollars a month without spending a lot of money. They...

Applying For Translation Work – A Guide For The Freelancer

I work as an Italian English Translation Project Manager at the translations agency Axis Translations. Everyday me and my colleagues see larger numbers of enquiries from translators seeking work. I hope that some of my observations will help you be more successfull. 1) Update and scan your computer for viruses How many translators CV’s get caught by an agencies firewall? I don’t know. It seems to happen in waves. We will have a batch of translators emails in a few days and then none for ages. But generally the email is deleted! 2) Put your details in the subject section of the email If you are applying for a project posted on the web, put a reference to it in the subject box. The reference number for instance. If you are applying generally, list the languages in which you translate. Why is this important? Simply translation agencies get a stack of emails each day and you want to be found. The translation project manager wants to be able to pick out the enquiries ...

Helpful Tips For Getting Rid Of Debt-Learn More About It Today

Images: mnnurses.org There are many different things that anyone could do to try and get rid of some of their debt problems and different plans work for different individuals, that is perfectly fine too. Do not feel bad about your financial situation, this kind of thing happens to everybody, no matter what kind of reputation or anything else. Debt problems can and will occur before you even realize how terrible its gotten at times, so always be aware and try and be cautious with your funds, no matter what comes about.  Debt relief tips can help drastically, with any current problems you might be having, and shame is something that none of you should feel because nobody is too good to experience that kind of problem. It is important to get a grip on it now, before it does escalate into something much bigger and much more stressful. The tips that I want to provide to you throughout this article should give you the accurate information that will get you well on your way to...

Be a Rich Jerk!

You want to meet the Rich Jerk!   Ha – don’t make me laugh.  What do you think the chances are of ever getting to meet this 26-year old brat who has more money than you’ve had hot dinners?  Oh, you want to BE a Rich Jerk?  Well, that’s a completely different story! I’m going to tell you why. A few days ago, I heard about this fellow who had sold a web site and business on eBay for a fabulous sum of money. More than that, he is still running extremely successful online businesses, which are adding to his considerable wealth, every minute of the day.  Now, if like me, you’ve built the web sites, made sure that the search engines find them – and then still only make a modest living online, there’s surely something to learn from this guy’s approach.  Images: www.playersmoney.com So, I bought the eBook that he wrote and, although it’s only a small book, it has some great advice. The topics covered in the eBook include  • ...

Tips for Mom Entrepreneurs: How to Stay Connected to Your Network

Creating a personal and professional network is essential for your work + life success. That’s why working moms need to approach networking with a different paradigm. As a working mom, you may already feel overwhelmed, juggling dual responsibilities of work and family. When it comes to networking – yet another task – you may feel that “the time I’ve spent at networking has never really paid off.” Creating a personal and professional network is essential for your work + life success. That’s why working moms need to approach networking with a different paradigm, explained below as a three-part process. Relationship Building Networking isn’t just about collecting business cards from people you think may help you. It’s about planting seeds and nurturing long-term relationships that mature over time. As a mom, you may understand this process well because it calls upon the same nurturing skills you already use with your family. Empowering Actions How many times have you a...

Power Networking: Getting Your Name Out There!

A highly flexible [power] networking plan is important – one that requires “out of the box” thinking in order to increase your chances of securing desired employment. Today’s economy presents some very special challenges to people who are unemployed, underemployed, or who are simply trying to give their own business venture a shot in the arm. At times, the job search can seem daunting, if not impossible, as it takes quite a bit of encouragement – and creativity – to keep pressing forward. A highly flexible [power] networking plan is important – one that requires “out of the box” thinking in order to increase your chances of securing desired employment. The following is a list of options to pursue in order to launch a successful personal marketing plan, which is what networking is all about. Most will cost you little or nothing to implement and for the cash strapped person that can be a real help. I wrote these suggestions for business flight attendants who, understandably, ...